Galacticos bring Galaxy back down to earth
Los Angeles: Real Madrid overturned a two-goal deficit to defeat the Los Angeles Galaxy 3-2 in a pre-season friendly at the Pasadena Rose Bowl on Saturday.
The Galaxy went ahead five minutes before halftime when defender Todd Dunivant scored and doubled the advantage a minute into the second period after U.S. international Landon Donovan slotted home a penalty kick.
The visitors had made eight substitutions at the break, introducing several of the squad’s big names, and once they had settled after conceding the second, Jose Mourinho’s men set about avoiding an embarrassing result in front of 89,134 spectators.
Argentine international striker Gonzalo Higuain pulled one back for Real in the 51st minute, latching on to a pass from Cristiano Ronaldo, and the same player equalised ten minutes later with a deft chip.
Real scored the winning goal in the 71st minute when Galaxy substitute goalkeeper Brian Perk could only parry a shot into the path of Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso, whose looping shot from the edge of the area took a deflection before finding the net.
Madrid rallied to beat Mexico’s Club America by the same score in the opener of their two-match U.S. tour in San Francisco on Wednesday and the team’s resilience was something that impressed coach Mourinho.
“For this trip, everything was perfect,” Mourinho told reporters. “We trained well. We trained hard. The players were together for 24 hours in a perfect environment for them to grow up as a group.”
That bonding appeared to have a positive effect on the side’s ability to remain competitive, even in friendlies.
“Obviously, I like this mentality of not wanting to lose, of wanting to overcome, a lot,” Mourinho added. “For me the second half was fantastic in every aspect.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh