Galatasaray confirm Drogba negotiations
London: Galatasaray assistant coach Hasan Sas has confirmed the club are in negotiations to sign Didier Drogba from Shanghai Shenhua.
The Cote d`Ivoire striker has been linked with a host of Europe`s biggest sides in recent months, with Juventus long-term admirers of the player.
But after completing the signing of Wesley Sneijder from Inter last week, the Istanbul club have now turned their attentions to recruiting another big name, as their January recruitment drive continues.
"Drogba is a world-class player. I know that our board is in negotiations. There should be some clarifications in one or two days, but what we know is that there are some positive unfoldings," Sas said following his side`s 2-1 win over Besiktas.
On Monday, Galatasaray confirmed on their official website that negotiations with the striker`s representatives over a winter transfer have commenced.
"Negotiations with Shanghai Shenhua attacker Didier Drogba`s agents over a potential transfer to Galatasaray have started. Any developments will be communicated later on."
Drogba only moved to China last summer after calling time on his eight-year stay with Chelsea, but rumours have persisted that the player could make a swift return to Europe on either a temporary or permanent basis, with his current club`s league season concluding two months ago.
In November, Fifa refused to allow the 34-year-old to make an immediate loan move away from Shenhua, though he could now leave the club on a permanent basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital