Galatasaray in talks to sign Wesley Sneijder
Istanbul: Galatasaray president Unal Aysal has revealed that the Turkish giants are in talks to sign Wesley Sneijder from Inter.
The Dutch playmaker has not featured for the Nerazzurri since the end of September, and does not seem to have a future at San Siro after rejecting a contract extension in December.
However it appears the talks are still at an early stage, with Soren Lerby, Sneijder`s agent, believed to be unaware of the Turkish side`s interest and yet to talk with officials from the club.
It was earlier reported that coach Andrea Stramaccioni would continue to leave the former Real Madrid man out of his team unless he agreed to the new terms at San Siro, which are worth significantly less than his current deal.
And, despite Lerby`s lack of contact with Galatasaray, it appears that the Turkish champions are now willing to offer him an escape route, as long as Inter lower their asking price.
"I had dinner with [Inter president] Massimo Moratti in Italy on Monday," Aysal told GSTV. "We spoke about how we can co-operate on football academies.
"The Wesley Sneijder topic was also on table. I can say we made positive progress on the prospect of signing Sneijder.
"I suppose it will be clear in a few days. We will negotiate the terms and hopefully get a discount on Sneijder`s fee. If they will agree on our offer financially then this move will be finalised."
Sneijder`s wife Yolanthe Cabau also commented about the development, using Twitter to put forward her views on the Turkish capital.
“Istanbul is definitely nice! Have been there many times, love Turkey!” she wrote.
“But what will happen, I do not know… I can only say that Wes still loves Inter as much as he did before.”
Sneijder, who was rumoured to be on the verge of a €30 million move to Manchester United during the summer of 2011, last turned out for Stramaccioni`s side against Chievo on September 26.
He recently admitted that he is likely to move away from the Giuseppe Meazza during the winter transfer window, which has sparked interest from a number of European clubs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly