Gallas could make Tottenham debut as captain
Chigwell: France defender William Gallas is expected to make his debut for Tottenham Hotspur at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday and might even be handed the captain’s armband for the Premier League clash.
The 33-year-old former Arsenal and Chelsea defender will become the first player to feature for all three London teams, having joined Spurs last month on a one-year deal after being released by the Gunners where he had been skipper.
“There’s every chance I will play William Gallas on Saturday,” manager Harry Redknapp told reporters at the Spurs training ground. “I’m considering making him captain.”
The move would be controversial because the Tottenham fans are not quite sure what to make of the former Arsenal defender’s decision to join the club from their north London rivals.
Spurs have, however, lost regular skipper Michael Dawson for up to two months after he strained ligaments on England duty while fellow central defender Ledley King is set to be rested ahead of the club’s Champions League debut at Werder Bremen on Tuesday.
Asked whether club captain King would play on Saturday, Redknapp said: “It’s a difficult decision. We might need his experience there (in Bremen) on Tuesday night.”
That leaves Gallas, who has played 84 times for France, to partner Cameroon defender Sebastien Bassong in central defence.
“You don’t play in teams that win championships, like he (Gallas) did at Chelsea, you don’t play for your country as many times as he has ... unless you’re a top player.
“He’s got a bit of pace, he’s a great defender, and he’ll be a big asset. I think he’ll be a great signing for us.”
Redknapp believes Gallas has shown admirable mental strength by moving to White Hart Lane from the Emirates where he was stripped of the captaincy in 2008 when he criticised team mates.
“You have to be strong as a person to do that (leave Arsenal for Spurs). It’s easy not to have done that,” said Redknapp. “He could have gone off and played somewhere else.”
Redknapp added that a player of Gallas’s class would have cost between 8 and 10 million pounds ($12.33-15.41 million) in the transfer market and believes he has got a bargain.
“If you want a player who is a top centre-half to play in the Premier League, you have to pay that money,” he said. “It was a no-brainer. He cost nothing. He’s not on silly money.”
Another of Tottenham’s new signings, Netherlands playmaker Rafael van der Vaart, could also make his debut at Albion having joined from Real Madrid while Brazilian midfielder Sandro is available after finally moving from Internacional.
Carlo Cudicini is likely to deputise again for injured Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes although Spurs have signed Croatia keeper Stipe Pletikosa on loan from Spartak Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone