Gerd Muller hails Messi as ‘incredible’ and ‘gigantic’ after breaking record for ‘most goals in year
London: Soccer ace Lionel Messi has been hailed as ‘gigantic’ and ‘incredible’ by football legend Gerd Muller after the Barcelona star broke his record for the most goals in a calendar year.
Muller grabbed 85 goals for Bayern Munich and West Germany in 1972 and the mark stood for 40 years until Messi netted his 85th and 86th goals of an incredible 2012 in Barca`s 2-1 win at Real Betis.
“My record stood for 40 years - 85 goals in 60 games - and now the best player in the world has broken it, and I`m delighted for him. He is an incredible player, gigantic,” The Telegraph quoted Muller, as saying.
According to the paper, Muller, whose record as Germany`s all-time top goalscorer is also under threat from Miroslav Klose, now hopes Messi will add to his tally before the end of the year.
“He`s such a nice and modest professional and I hope he gets one or two more goals in 2012 and that he can then hold onto the record for the next 40 years,” he said.
“He`s fantastic. He only has one defect and that is that he doesn`t play for Bayern Munich,” he added.
Messi`s Barca team-mates were also in awe of his achievement, the paper said.
“Leo is supernatural, he has no limits and we always have to remember everything that he`s given us. We have to enjoy him every single minute that we have him now,” Spain defender Gerard Pique said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional