German coach rejects Euro 2012 criticism by media
Berlin: Germany`s coach Joachim Loew has criticized the media coverage as "tiresome" and "unrewarding" after his side`s 1-2 loss to Italy at the Euro 2012 semi-finals.
The 52-year-old took over the charge of the German national team after the World Cup in 2006 to restructure it, bringing in young talented players. Gradually the team performed well to finish second at the Euro 2008 in Austria and Switzerland and third at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Germany was one of the favourites at the Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine, but they were unexpectedly knocked out in the semi-finals by Italy.
"After the World Cup in South Africa we wanted to form a team that can win a title. Therefore, the defeat in the semi-finals to Italy was particularly painful," Loew told a press conference Monday.
The semi-final loss led to a widespread criticism of the team`s performance and concept.
Loew rejected the criticism and affirmed that he will not shift his concept of the squad.
"Before the Italy loss, we won 15 matches in a row, which is a world record. Therefore, we will absolutely stick to our long-term concept. Of course, I accept the sporting criticism and with all humility I will try to draw lessons from it, but some of the criticism is indeed unrewarding."
Nonetheless, the Germany coach is looking forward to the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.
"The anticipation is great. We have set high expectation with our style of play," Loew added.
Germany will host Argentina in a friendly Wednesday in Frankfurt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'