German hired as Jamaica’s new head coach
Kingston (Jamaica): The former head coach of the African nation of Cameroon, Winfried Schafer, is the man handed the responsibility of reviving Jamaica’s bid to qualify for next year’s football World Cup in Brazil.
Schafer, a German with a wealth of international experience, was introduced to the local public during a news conference here Thursday.
Schafer, who coached Cameroon at the 2002 World Cup Finals and led the west Central Africa nation to the African Cup of Nations title the same year, said Jamaica can salvage their fading campaign.
"We cannot make any mistakes and we have to change our mentality, we have to have the mentality to win. I go to win not for a draw," said the former Bundesliga coach.
“We have key matches against Costa Rica and Panama and we are going to need good preparation to win these matches, and we have a good chance to atleast make the play-offs."
Schafer has been offered a five-month contract which has taken effect as Jamaica prepares to resume its campaign with its next World Cup qualifying match away to Panama.
The `Reggae Boyz` are currently at the bottom of the CONCACAF six-team group on two points from six games and with four matches remaining, but still have an outside chance of finishing in the top four.
"What we need is 100 percent fitness, tactical discipline and 100 percent motivation,” said Schafer.
“I will select players that are proud to play for Jamaica. First of all these players must be happy to wear the shirt of their country”.
Jamaica has been without a head coach after Theodore Whitmore resigned following their 0-2 defeat to Honduras which left them with a slim chance of qualifying for the Brazil 2014 World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination