Germany don`t disrespect England, says Loew
London: Germany coach Joachim Loew said on Monday that his decision to field an experimental line-up in Tuesday`s friendly against England at Wembley Stadium is not a sign of disrespect.
Loew sent goalkeeper Manuel Neuer and captain Philipp Lahm back to Germany following Friday`s 1-1 draw with Italy in Milan, while Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil is not expected to feature either.
Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller will win his first cap and Loew confirmed that Marcel Schmelzer, Per Mertesacker, Sven Bender and Marco Reus would all start.
He also revealed that he was toying with the idea of giving Bayern Munich centre-back Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels of Dortmund 45 minutes each alongside Mertesacker in central defence.
"It was clear for me that I`d use these two matches against Italy and England to try out new players in key positions, and what better test for these up-and-coming players than to play to a partisan crowd of 80,000 English fans spurring their team on?" Loew told a press conference in central London on Monday.
"It was clear to me that I needed to experiment a bit and send home some of the players that for us are firmly established.
"It was a deliberate acid test for these young, up-and-coming players, and it`s definitely not the case that we`re fielding a `B team` as any lack of respect towards our hosts.
"Let me remind you that in 2008 we hosted England in November in Berlin and England played without (Wayne) Rooney, (Steven) Gerrard, or (Frank) Lampard and beat us 2-1, so there`s no such thing as a B or an A team for us."
Germany crushed England 4-1 when the sides last met at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa and are eight places above England in the current FIFA ranking, but Loew says that Roy Hodgson`s side are still a major force.
"England have been and always will be one of the big footballing nations, if you ask me," he said.
"Looking in from the outside, you can always say Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard are players of elite calibre with a world of experience behind them.
"There is Andros Townsend, very quick, very dynamic. The defensive wide players are impressive, so England have nothing to fear in that department.
"Roy Hodgson is a fantastic coach. I first knew him when I was playing in Switzerland. Wherever he`s gone, he left the most positive of marks -- for example, he successfully introduced the 4-4-2 system to the Swiss, and they have adapted it perfectly.
"England may be tactically different from Italy, but they`re still playing with tremendous force, they have tackling power, and they have a dynamic approach to the game.
"And they have individual players who can decide a game on their own if need be."
Loew said that he had no new injury concerns to report, but he lamented the knee ligament injury sustained by Sami Khedira against Italy that will keep the Real Madrid midfielder out of action for around six months.
"Everything`s slightly overshadowed by the bad news of Sami Khedira`s injury," he said.
"The doctors have assured us that the operation went well though, and if anyone`s capable of coming back from such a serious injury and playing at a World Cup, it`s Sami Khedira.
"He`s a natural-born fighter, it`s in his spirit, and we`ll just have to be optimistic, just like he is."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA