Germany top dogs so far in South Africa, says Reina
Potchefstroom: Germany have been the most impressive team at the World Cup thanks to their successful blooding of new talent, according to Spanish reserve goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
The European heavyweights meet in the last four in Durban on Wednesday in an eagerly-awaited repeat of the Euro 2008 final which Spain won 1-0 with a goal from Fernando Torres.
Coach Vicente del Bosque’s side is little changed, while his German counterpart Joachim Loew has selected the country’s youngest squad since 1934, blending an exciting crop of new talent with experienced campaigners.
“They are perhaps the most complete team at the World Cup, one that has been overhauled since the 2008 final with young and fresh faces,” Reina said at a news conference at Spain’s training base in Potchefstroom.
“It’s going to be tough as they are the strongest opponent right now but we believe in ourselves,” he added.
Spain, who are bidding for a first World Cup triumph, have struggled at times in South Africa against defensive-minded opponents who try to prevent them from asserting their customary dominance of possession.
However, Germany have been deploying similar tactics to the Spanish based around rapid passing, movement off the ball and devastating counter-attacking, raising the prospect of an open, free-flowing game.
“Maybe we play the ball around more and they are more direct but I don’t think we are very different,” Reina said. “We have to make sure they don’t get a lead because they are a very difficult team.”
After a shock 1-0 defeat to Switzerland in their opening Group H match, Spain’s progress to the last four has been much trickier than expected and the poor form of Torres, who plays with Reina at Liverpool, has been a major concern.
Torres returned from knee surgery shortly before the tournament and has yet to find the net in five matches, while his strike partner David Villa is the tournament’s leading scorer with five.
“He (Torres) is a very mature person and he knows perfectly well that this is what happens sometimes in football and he has to stay calm,” Reina said.
“He has the confidence of the coach, of his team mates and of himself. Hopefully he’ll make history again like at Euro 2008 and be a key player for us.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced