Gerndt gets Sweden recall
Stockholm: Sweden coach Erik Hamrén confirmed on Tuesday he has recalled Alexander Gerndt to the national squad after the striker was suspended following his conviction for domestic violence.
The 27-year-old, who plays for Swiss club Young Boys, joins the squad which will host Germany in Solna as part of the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.
Gerndt will fill in for Johan Elmander, who is suffering a back problem, the Swedish football federation said. He will start on the bench with Tobias Hysen starting the match.
Gerndt was suspended from the national side following his conviction on two counts of domestic violence in December 2011.
He was selected by Hamren in the squad to face Ireland in a World Cup qualifier in Stockholm on March 22 but was withdrawn following negative reaction.
Sweden will be without their top two strikers - Elmander and suspended Zlatan Ibrahimovic - but are assured of a play-off berth even if they lose.
With Germany having qualified for the World Cup as Group C winners, Sweden will finish second, but a lot of pride is still at stake at home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi