Gerndt gets Sweden recall
Stockholm: Sweden coach Erik Hamrén confirmed on Tuesday he has recalled Alexander Gerndt to the national squad after the striker was suspended following his conviction for domestic violence.
The 27-year-old, who plays for Swiss club Young Boys, joins the squad which will host Germany in Solna as part of the 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.
Gerndt will fill in for Johan Elmander, who is suffering a back problem, the Swedish football federation said. He will start on the bench with Tobias Hysen starting the match.
Gerndt was suspended from the national side following his conviction on two counts of domestic violence in December 2011.
He was selected by Hamren in the squad to face Ireland in a World Cup qualifier in Stockholm on March 22 but was withdrawn following negative reaction.
Sweden will be without their top two strikers - Elmander and suspended Zlatan Ibrahimovic - but are assured of a play-off berth even if they lose.
With Germany having qualified for the World Cup as Group C winners, Sweden will finish second, but a lot of pride is still at stake at home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum