Gerrard awaiting results on latest injury scare
London: Steven Gerrard will know by the middle of this week whether he faces another lengthy layoff or will be back in action for Liverpool soon after being diagnosed with an infected ankle.
The 31-year-old Liverpool skipper has only recently returned to the side after being out with a groin injury for six months but missed Saturday`s 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion with this new, unrelated problem.
Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish told Liverpool`s website (www.liverpoolfc.tv) that Gerrard had been in the frame for Saturday`s match but was forced to pull out late.
"Steven was in my mind for the game, but it just flared up," he said.
He also told reporters he was not sure when Gerrard would return or if he would be fit enough to be included in the England squad for the friendlies against Spain and Sweden in November.
"I haven`t got a clue," he replied to the question. "It`s nothing to do with any injuries before, it`s an infection."
Monday`s newspapers carried photos of Gerrard leaving hospital on crutches with his right leg heavily bandaged.
The problem started last week when he cut his ankle in training and was later kicked on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional