Gerrard calls for patience from Liverpool fans
London: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has asked frustrated fans to be patient as the team tries to turn around their wretched run of results, which has seen them drop to eighth place in the English Premier League standings.
Six defeats in seven league matches have prompted all kinds of outpouring from disgruntled supporters.
"There are a lot of challenges this season. I`d ask the supporters to be patient, we will get it right," the England international said.
"We have had a mixed month of March. We`re in a league position we`re not happy about it and we need to look at ourselves and try to move up the league as soon as possible."
After the jubilation of winning the League Cup in February, their first trophy for six years, there has been growing discontent outside of Anfield at the way the team has seemingly fallen apart in the league, even though they have managed to reach the semi-finals of FA Cup.
Two wins in 2012 have dropped Liverpool to eighth, allowing near-neighbours Everton to overtake them last weekend, and all outside hopes of making a late push for Champions League qualification have vanished.
Gerrard was named the club`s player of the month on the back of becoming the first scorer of a hat-trick in the Merseyside derby for almost 30 years. While he is grateful for the recognition, he knows unless the team improves individual awards will count for little.
"It`s always nice to be rewarded for personal achievements, but from day one I have always said it`s about the team," said Gerrard.
"It`s nice as a player to know you`re doing your job properly. Now I need to help the team to improve and become more consistent.
"The Everton game was obviously a highlight for me in March. It was a great team performance but besides that there weren`t many highlights.
"Let`s hope April has many more and that we can climb up the table and get to the FA Cup final.
"Although we have been inconsistent in the league we have shown we are a strong squad and can beat anyone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok