Gerrard insists England ‘can pull off miracle’ to win 2014 World Cup in Brazil
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has insisted that England can pull off a “miracle” and win the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
Gerrard, 32, admitted that they have become long shots to lift the trophy, as they begin their journey to Brazil in 2014, but claimed that England would never give up hope.
“You never stop believing in football. Miracles do happen. It’s been proved. When I speak I’m realistic and honest,” the Daily Mirror quoted Gerrard, as saying.
“At the moment, we’re not one of the favourites to win the World Cup. That doesn’t mean you stop believing, working hard to improve, try and learn from the mistakes you’ve made at previous tournaments. We have to have that faith and keep believing,” he added.
Gerrard said he is determined to keep going himself and lead England to the World Cup as he admitted that he is running out of time.
“This will be my last World Cup, that’s for sure. I will give it everything. I loved being part of the Euros, leading my country and I want to enjoy that again.” Gerrard said.
“This team has every chance to improve and get better in the next few years, with players coming through and those players with the experience,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145