Gerrard insists England can`t be written off in 2014 Brazil World Cup
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has said that the nation`s football team is not weak and should not be written off in the next World Cup.
According to the Mirror, FA chairman Greg Dyke claimed on Wednesday that Roy Hodgson`s men are not realistic contenders to win the World Cup next year, assuming they do actually reach the finals in Brazil.
However, Gerrard said that he did not think the team was weak as suggested and even though they were not going to be one of the bookies` favourites to win the World Cup, it did not mean they could not have a successful tournament to make the country proud.
He said that it was a challenge to qualify and the team wanted to make the nation proud after achieving that, adding that playing at a World Cup is the pinnacle of any footballer`s dream as a kid, especially in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened