Gerrard insists England can`t be written off in 2014 Brazil World Cup
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has said that the nation`s football team is not weak and should not be written off in the next World Cup.
According to the Mirror, FA chairman Greg Dyke claimed on Wednesday that Roy Hodgson`s men are not realistic contenders to win the World Cup next year, assuming they do actually reach the finals in Brazil.
However, Gerrard said that he did not think the team was weak as suggested and even though they were not going to be one of the bookies` favourites to win the World Cup, it did not mean they could not have a successful tournament to make the country proud.
He said that it was a challenge to qualify and the team wanted to make the nation proud after achieving that, adding that playing at a World Cup is the pinnacle of any footballer`s dream as a kid, especially in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire