Gerrard insists England can`t be written off in 2014 Brazil World Cup
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has said that the nation`s football team is not weak and should not be written off in the next World Cup.
According to the Mirror, FA chairman Greg Dyke claimed on Wednesday that Roy Hodgson`s men are not realistic contenders to win the World Cup next year, assuming they do actually reach the finals in Brazil.
However, Gerrard said that he did not think the team was weak as suggested and even though they were not going to be one of the bookies` favourites to win the World Cup, it did not mean they could not have a successful tournament to make the country proud.
He said that it was a challenge to qualify and the team wanted to make the nation proud after achieving that, adding that playing at a World Cup is the pinnacle of any footballer`s dream as a kid, especially in Brazil.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists