Gerrard insists England can`t be written off in 2014 Brazil World Cup
London: England captain Steven Gerrard has said that the nation`s football team is not weak and should not be written off in the next World Cup.
According to the Mirror, FA chairman Greg Dyke claimed on Wednesday that Roy Hodgson`s men are not realistic contenders to win the World Cup next year, assuming they do actually reach the finals in Brazil.
However, Gerrard said that he did not think the team was weak as suggested and even though they were not going to be one of the bookies` favourites to win the World Cup, it did not mean they could not have a successful tournament to make the country proud.
He said that it was a challenge to qualify and the team wanted to make the nation proud after achieving that, adding that playing at a World Cup is the pinnacle of any footballer`s dream as a kid, especially in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic