Gerrard nervous ahead of 100th England cap
London: Steven Gerrard has admitted that he is nervous ahead of his chance to win his 100th England cap in the friendly against Sweden.
The 32-year-old made his England debut against Ukraine in May 2000 and now stands on the verge of becoming just the sixth player to reach a century of games for the Three Lions, following in the footsteps of record-holder Peter Shilton, Bobby Moore, Bobby Charlton, Billy Wright and most recently David Beckham.
Gerrard was named as the national side`s captain by Roy Hodgson and was the only member of the England team to make the Euro 2012 squad of the tournament.
However, despite his senior role in the international squad, the Liverpool skipper has admitted to feeling extra levels of excitement and nervousness ahead of the game, and was keen to stress he still has a lot to offer the national team.
Gerrard told reporters: "I`m excited, I`m slightly nervous, which I haven`t been for quite a while in an England shirt, maybe because there is a bit more attention on me getting to the milestone.
"It`s very exciting and I can`t wait for the game to start.
"I try to be the driving force, try and make things happen on the pitch, get assists, get goals and try to lead by example for the rest of the team to follow.
"My England journey has been full of ups and downs, probably the same as a lot of other England players, but I feel like there`s a few more chapters to write as well.
"I don`t feel as if I am coming to the end. I`m really happy where I am at the moment and really happy with my form in an England shirt. I`m certainly looking forward to helping this team qualify for the World Cup."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31