Gerrard reveals Rooney talks
Manchester: England captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he has had a conversation with Wayne Rooney over the striker`s future at Manchester United.
The 27-year-old is considering handing in a formal transfer request in order to push through a move to Chelsea this summer having grown disillusioned with life at Old Trafford.
Despite being ruled out of United`s Community Shield win over Wigan Athletic on Sunday with a shoulder injury, Rooney has been participating in training with Roy Hodgson`s squad ahead of Wednesday`s friendly against Scotland at Wembley.
"It wouldn`t be fair on Wayne for me to talk about that conversation but of course I am close to him," Gerrard said.
"But for me it is all about how Wayne Rooney is feeling for tomorrow`s game and I am sure he will sort the other stuff out."
Other than participating in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Real Betis on August 3, Rooney has not played in a match since England`s 2-2 draw with Brazil on June 2.
Gerrard concedes Rooney is lacking in fitness but feels the forward is prepared to start in Wednesday`s fixture.
"He is certainly not match fit," Gerrard continued.
"But it is the same old Wayne Rooney in training, he looks good, he is scoring goals. He is certainly ready to play, he needs these minutes for his confidence and I am sure he will be itching to start."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray