Gerrard reveals Rooney talks
Manchester: England captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he has had a conversation with Wayne Rooney over the striker`s future at Manchester United.
The 27-year-old is considering handing in a formal transfer request in order to push through a move to Chelsea this summer having grown disillusioned with life at Old Trafford.
Despite being ruled out of United`s Community Shield win over Wigan Athletic on Sunday with a shoulder injury, Rooney has been participating in training with Roy Hodgson`s squad ahead of Wednesday`s friendly against Scotland at Wembley.
"It wouldn`t be fair on Wayne for me to talk about that conversation but of course I am close to him," Gerrard said.
"But for me it is all about how Wayne Rooney is feeling for tomorrow`s game and I am sure he will sort the other stuff out."
Other than participating in a behind-closed-doors friendly against Real Betis on August 3, Rooney has not played in a match since England`s 2-2 draw with Brazil on June 2.
Gerrard concedes Rooney is lacking in fitness but feels the forward is prepared to start in Wednesday`s fixture.
"He is certainly not match fit," Gerrard continued.
"But it is the same old Wayne Rooney in training, he looks good, he is scoring goals. He is certainly ready to play, he needs these minutes for his confidence and I am sure he will be itching to start."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital