Ghana`s Ayew brothers resign from Black Stars
Accra: Two Ghanian international football players have tendered their resignation to the Ghana Football Association (GFA) citing varied reasons.
Andre Morgan Rami Ayew and Jordan Pierre Ayew, both sons of Abedi Ayew Pele, ex-skipper of the Black Stars, have temporarily excused themselves from the Black Stars, reports Xinhua.
Andrew was excluded from the Ghana squad for the 2013 African Cup of Nations (AFCON) in South Africa for his inability to join the Black Stars squad for a pre-tournament camp in the United Arab Emirates at a set date even though he claimed he was injured.
Jordan was not included in the Black Stars team for the tournament.
While Andre cited his poor relationship with the management team of the Black Stars, his younger brother Jordan said his temporary leave was intended not only to work hard in his club (Olympique Marseille) but to also enable him to obtain the quality, experience and stature necessary for a call up to play in the national team.
"My decision to withdraw my services from the national team results from a number of issues or matters that have occurred quite recently, especially with regard to my relationship with the management team of the senior national team, the Black Stars.
"These matters have so affected me emotionally and psychologically that I am unable presently to offer the best of my services to my dear nation," said Andre, who also plays for French side Marseille.
Andre captained Ghana`s U-20 team to win both the African and World youth championships in 2009.
The decision of the two players to take temporary leave is not new in the national team.
Players like Sulley Muntari, Kevin Prince Boateng (both of AC Milan), Real Madrid`s Michael Essien and Asamoah Gyan have all asked to be excused from national duties due to some problems with officials of the GFA.
Gyan was rewarded with the captaincy of the Black Stars when he re-launched his career with the Black stars after taking a five- month leave last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living