Ghana seeks glory in African Youth Championship
Accra (Ghana): Ghana is seeking to win the upcoming African Youth Championship (AYC) scheduled for March 16-30 in Algeria.
Sellas Tetteh, head coach of the Black Satellites which is Ghana`s Under-20 men`s team, Wednesday named a provisional list of 25 players to limber up in Italy and Spain ahead of the AYC next month, reports Xinhua.
The team will leave Ghana for Novara, Italy, where they will face the youth side of AC Milan during a five-day stay in Italy. From Italy, the team will depart for Spain where they are expected to continue with their preparations for 10 days and play the youth side of Barcelona. The squad will then be whittled-down to 21 players for the tournament.
The provisional squad includes Baba Mensah and Frank Acheampong, who play for Anderlecht in Belgium.
Ghana, three-time winners (1993, 1999 and 2009), will be making a ninth appearance at the tournament. They face hosts Algeria, Benin and Egypt in Group A of the competition and will be based in the town of Ain Pemouchent.
The top four teams from the African competition will qualify for the FIFA Under-20 World Cup scheduled for Turkey from June 21 to July 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred