Giggs expects Old Trafford classic against Real Madrid
London: Ryan Giggs says Manchester United`s game against Real Madrid on Tuesday could be similar to the meeting in 2002-03 that ended 4-3 to the Red Devils.
Brazil striker Ronaldo scored a hat-trick that night, while David Beckham came off the bench to score two goals, but United crashed out 6-5 on aggregate after losing 3-1 in the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.
"Every time in Europe you learn different lessons, certainly that night Madrid scoring early made it an uphill task, hopefully that won`t happen tomorrow night," Giggs told reporters.
"You learn from every experience in Europe. You try to get ahead and score the first goal, we know the crowd will get behind us and the confidence that will give us. But saying that, we know that if we go behind we have the confidence to come from behind like we have done all season.
"When you get that much firepower on the pitch, undoubtedly there`s going to be chances and goals."
Giggs, who is due to make his 1000th career appearance on Tuesday, admitted that he is proud to have played so many games.
"I`m obviously proud of playing that many games. If you set out different goals at the beginning of your career; getting in the team, staying in the team, wanting to win things, you never think that you`re going to get to 1000 games.
"I`ve worked hard, I`ve had a lot of things helping me. The continuity of the manager, playing with good players. As you get older you take things in a lot more. For example the second Champions League that we won, I managed to take that in and enjoy it a lot more than 1999. As you get older you enjoy things a little bit more and enjoy them a little bit more."
Giggs was applauded at the Santiago Bernabeu when he came on as a substitute in the first leg, and he took the opportunity to thank the Madrid fans for that reception.
"It was strange because I was going on to the picth and concentrating on doing well for the team and making an impact. I didn recognise it but it wasn`t until after that I really thought about it, but yeah, it was great for me and I thank the Madrid fans for the welcome that they did give me.
"It was great."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof