Gladbach go second after terrorising Bayern
Berlin: Borussia Moenchengladbach floored leaders Bayern Munich 3-1 with two goals by Patrick Herrmann and one from Marco Reus to move within a point of top spot as the Bundesliga resumed after a one-month winter break.
Gladbach, who terrorised lacklustre Bayern with a string of lightning-quick breaks, went up to second with 36 points from 18 games after clinching a league double over the visitors.
Bayern, beaten 1-0 by the same team on the opening day of the season, could not find much creative spark in the absence of suspended winger Franck Ribery.
"We lacked any punch today. The breaking point was the second goal just before the break," Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes told reporters.
"It was difficult to come back after that."
The hosts, who narrowly avoided relegation last season, needed a rare but spectacular Manuel Neuer blunder to take the lead in the 11th minute.
The keeper`s misplaced pass found Reus and he fired into an empty net from 30 metres to claim his 10th league goal of the campaign.
Earlier this month Gladbach`s top scorer Reus agreed to join Borussia Dortmund at the end of the season. Media reports said the fee would be 17 million euros.
Bayern, chasing a domestic double and still in the Champions League, almost levelled when Mario Gomez`s point-blank header was palmed away by Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Gladbach then struck on the break in the 41st minute with Mike Hanke`s long pass sending Herrmann through and the 20-year-old beating Neuer with a low drive.
Herrmann then combined with Reus in another quick break after 71 minutes before coolly rounding Neuer for the third goal.
Bastian Schweinsteiger cut the deficit with a close-range shot five minutes later but it was too little too late for Bayern.
"My team did well tonight," said Gladbach coach Lucien Favre. "We played a very tactical game."
Champions Dortmund, in third position with 34 points, travel to Hamburg SV on Sunday while fourth-placed Schalke 04 entertain VfB Stuttgart on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!