Goa football club slams AIFF over I-League, IPL-style event
Panaji: A leading Goa soccer club on Saturday slammed the All India Football Federation (AIFF) decision to bring in far-reaching changes in the existing I-League format and promote an IPL-style tournament.
By bringing in changes in the I-League format, introducing a cap on the number of teams, permitting and actively promoting an IPL-style franchise league bang in the middle of the football season, AIFF will be sounding death knell for club football in India, said Peter Vaz, President of Sporting Clube de Goa.
"Crucial decisions were taken by AIFF at an emergency meeting (last week). One fails to understand what was the need of taking such decisions by bypassing the AIFF Executive Committee and the clubs.”
"The I-League has been broken up into Western and Eastern conference without any consultation whatsoever with the clubs who are the main stake-holders," he said.
The apex football body, at the emergency meeting, decided to introduce the USA`s Major League Soccer-style conference format in a bid to reduce the cost of holding the I-League, besides also changing the Federation Cup from knockout to home-and-away format.
"When the AIFF is getting its entire revenue from the I-League marketing rights, why was it afraid to call a meeting of the I-league Committee, where all clubs are represented, to discuss the changes in the I-League structure? This shows AIFF`s lack of respect for the clubs who are the backbone of Indian football," stated Vaz.
At a time when we are trying to emulate the best practices in the sport, introducing the conference model is nothing but a retrograde step. This will devalue the league and convert it into a regional tournament, making it harder to sell the event to sponsors and broadcasters, he maintained.
It is clear the sole purpose of changes in the league structure is to accommodate IMG-Reliance, AIFF`s marketing and commercial partner, and their franchise league, Vaz said.
AIFF and IMG-Reliance have decided to organise the IPL-style tournament early next year. I-League clubs have opposed the event.
"By sanctioning and actively promoting a parallel franchise league, AIFF is creating a monster which will devour the I-League and finish the existing clubs in India."
"Nowhere in the world does such a league exist and that too bang in the middle of the country`s premier league," the Goa club President said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks