Goal-line Technology to be used at 2014 World Cup
Geneva: FIFA has announced that Goal-Line Technology (GLT) will be used at both the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.
The scheme underwent a trial during December`s Club World Cup, and the governing body has decided to put it to further use at their upcoming competitions.
"The aim is to use GLT in order to support the match officials and to install a system in all stadia, pending the successful installation, and pre-match referee tests," a statement read.
"With different technologies on the market, FIFA launched a tender on Tuesday, setting out the technical requirements for the two forthcoming competitions in Brazil.
"The two GLT providers already licensed under FIFA’s Quality Programme for GLT, and other GLT providers currently in the licensing process (that must have passed all relevant tests as of today) are invited to submit tenders.
"Interested GLT companies will be invited to join an inspection visit to the Confederations Cup venues, currently scheduled for mid-March, with a final decision due to be confirmed in early April."
UEFA president Michel Platini is unlikely to follow FIFA`s lead as he is adamantly against its implementation, which means the likes of the Champions League and the Europa League will not see GLT any time soon.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter was initially against the idea of GLT, but he began to embrace such a prospect after witnessing England midfielder Frank Lampard have a clearly-over-the-line shot not given as the linesman believed the ball had remained in play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown