Goal-line Technology to be used at 2014 World Cup
Geneva: FIFA has announced that Goal-Line Technology (GLT) will be used at both the 2013 Confederations Cup and the 2014 World Cup.
The scheme underwent a trial during December`s Club World Cup, and the governing body has decided to put it to further use at their upcoming competitions.
"The aim is to use GLT in order to support the match officials and to install a system in all stadia, pending the successful installation, and pre-match referee tests," a statement read.
"With different technologies on the market, FIFA launched a tender on Tuesday, setting out the technical requirements for the two forthcoming competitions in Brazil.
"The two GLT providers already licensed under FIFA’s Quality Programme for GLT, and other GLT providers currently in the licensing process (that must have passed all relevant tests as of today) are invited to submit tenders.
"Interested GLT companies will be invited to join an inspection visit to the Confederations Cup venues, currently scheduled for mid-March, with a final decision due to be confirmed in early April."
UEFA president Michel Platini is unlikely to follow FIFA`s lead as he is adamantly against its implementation, which means the likes of the Champions League and the Europa League will not see GLT any time soon.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter was initially against the idea of GLT, but he began to embrace such a prospect after witnessing England midfielder Frank Lampard have a clearly-over-the-line shot not given as the linesman believed the ball had remained in play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj