Gotze and Lewy exits will derail Dortmund: Sousa
Munich: Double Champions League winner Paulo Sousa tells his former club will struggle to fill the void left by the impending departures of two marquee players.
Paulo Sousa, a Champions League winner with Borussia Dortmund, fears that Saturday`s final against Bayern Munich may be the last time Jurgen Klopp`s side take the European stage in the near future.
Mario Gotze, who misses the Wembley final through injury, has already agreed to join Bayern after they met the release clause stipulated in his contract while Robert Lewandowski`s future remains up for discussion.
Should Dortmund end up losing both, Sousa believes that his former club would struggle to remain competitive.
"It`s difficult to take another step when you lose two important players," he said. "If you lose the second one, Lewandowski, because Gotze is practically gone, it will be important to reduce expectations and to build it up again because they are two important pieces of the puzzle."
The impending transfer of Gotze for a fee of €37 million has created friction between the two clubs. The two-time Champions League winner understands Dortmund fan antipathy towards the 20-year-old but underlines the importance of player sales in the Dortmund strategy.
"For them it`s like they feel the player doesn`t have respect for them," he said. "But I think the ones that love the club have already passed different difficult moments and they will always back the club.
"After we won the Champions League in `97, and all the economical problems that followed, the fans were always very close to the club and helped support the club to progress."
Dortmund under Klopp have claimed two Bundesliga titles as well as DFB-Pokal success and Sousa believes the psychological tools used by the coach have been key to their revival on the continental scene.
"He is someone who inspires everyone around him; someone really ambitious," he said. "He motivates a lot because he, and Michael Zorc the football director who won the Champions League with me in `97, are people who planned to achieve the possibility to win the Champions League again."
Despite going into the tie as underdogs, Sousa thinks that the occasion could inspire Dortmund to win the title against the odds like they did against his former club Juventus in 1997.
"History, we make ourselves," he said. "I think this team is quite strong. It has lots of quality in all the sectors of the pitch. They could write a new page of the history of football and the history of Dortmund."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly