Greek players to help repair quake-struck nursing home
Greece international players announced Friday that they would donate a month`s wages to help fund repairs to a nursing home on Cephalonia island damaged by twin-earthquakes in January and February.
"The 23 of us who participated in the World Cup 2014 playoff with Romania have decided to donate our wages of November 2013 to repair the Lixouri nursing home," the announcement said.
The nursing home was severely damaged by the earthquakes and residents were transferred temporarily to another facility.
"The thought of 36 elderly people losing their residence frankly shocked us and obliged us to offer a helping hand so they can live under humane conditions," the announcement said.
Last month Greek champions Olympiakos announced that they will provide funds to reconstruct schools damaged by the earthquakes on Cephalonia.
Extensive damage was caused by the earthquakes to many homes and public buildings, including schools on the Ionian Sea holiday island.
It is estimated by authorities that the cost of repairing the schools in Cephalonia will be about 500,000 euros ($679,458), which Olympiakos -- who face Manchester United in the last 16 of the Champions League later this month -- have promised to cover.
Cephalonia has previously been struck by earthquakes several times.
In August 1953 a major earthquake killed 450 people and destroyed virtually every house on the island.
The Ionian island of some 35,000 inhabitants was also the setting for the popular novel "Captain Corelli`s Mandolin", about a World War II romance between an Italian soldier and a local woman.
A 2001 movie of the same name, starring Nicolas Cage and Penelope Cruz, was filmed there.
Greece is one of Europe`s most earthquake-prone countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened