Greek players to help repair quake-struck nursing home
Greece international players announced Friday that they would donate a month`s wages to help fund repairs to a nursing home on Cephalonia island damaged by twin-earthquakes in January and February.
"The 23 of us who participated in the World Cup 2014 playoff with Romania have decided to donate our wages of November 2013 to repair the Lixouri nursing home," the announcement said.
The nursing home was severely damaged by the earthquakes and residents were transferred temporarily to another facility.
"The thought of 36 elderly people losing their residence frankly shocked us and obliged us to offer a helping hand so they can live under humane conditions," the announcement said.
Last month Greek champions Olympiakos announced that they will provide funds to reconstruct schools damaged by the earthquakes on Cephalonia.
Extensive damage was caused by the earthquakes to many homes and public buildings, including schools on the Ionian Sea holiday island.
It is estimated by authorities that the cost of repairing the schools in Cephalonia will be about 500,000 euros ($679,458), which Olympiakos -- who face Manchester United in the last 16 of the Champions League later this month -- have promised to cover.
Cephalonia has previously been struck by earthquakes several times.
In August 1953 a major earthquake killed 450 people and destroyed virtually every house on the island.
The Ionian island of some 35,000 inhabitants was also the setting for the popular novel "Captain Corelli`s Mandolin", about a World War II romance between an Italian soldier and a local woman.
A 2001 movie of the same name, starring Nicolas Cage and Penelope Cruz, was filmed there.
Greece is one of Europe`s most earthquake-prone countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi