Green signal to PIO, OCI players for inter-village tourneys
Panaji:The Goa Football Association (GFA) has allowed players born in the state and holding Person of India Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (0CI) status to take part in inter-village events for 2013-14 season.
GFA president Shrinivas Dempo, while addressing the annual general body meeting yesterday, said his main focus was on the infrastructure for the development of football in the state.
To achieve this, renovation works were in progress at PJN Stadium, Fatorda and Tilak Stadium in Vasco and other venues in view of the third Lusofonia games.
Earlier, the clubs highlighted the financial burden they underwent due to prolonged leagues this season, mainly because of the tight calendar and unavailability of venues.
"Addressing their concerns, we have decided to complete the Goa Pro-League within 4-5 months and also to conclude the age-group tournaments by February," Dempo said.
GFA welcomed AIFF`s plan to implement centralised player registration system that will help the apex body to crack down on age-fudging, besides providing players the security of insurance.
However, it voiced its opposition to the quantum of fees to be levied on village clubs and will take up the matter at the AIFF`s executive committee meeting on August 1.
The GFA resolved to revive the Bandodkar Gold Trophy tournament after Salgaocar FC general secretary Raj Gomes proposed the idea of scheduling the tournament in February 2014 and accordingly, will be following the dates of the IFA Shield tournament in this regard.
GFA vice-president (north), Lavino Rebello felt that both the IMG-Reliance tournament and Bandodkar Gold Trophy will boost football in Goa.
"If IMG-Reliance tournament becomes a reality with Goa as one of its venues, it will boost the game and the same will provide a break to the I-League players," Rebello said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video