Green signal to PIO, OCI players for inter-village tourneys
Panaji:The Goa Football Association (GFA) has allowed players born in the state and holding Person of India Origin (PIO) or Overseas Citizen of India (0CI) status to take part in inter-village events for 2013-14 season.
GFA president Shrinivas Dempo, while addressing the annual general body meeting yesterday, said his main focus was on the infrastructure for the development of football in the state.
To achieve this, renovation works were in progress at PJN Stadium, Fatorda and Tilak Stadium in Vasco and other venues in view of the third Lusofonia games.
Earlier, the clubs highlighted the financial burden they underwent due to prolonged leagues this season, mainly because of the tight calendar and unavailability of venues.
"Addressing their concerns, we have decided to complete the Goa Pro-League within 4-5 months and also to conclude the age-group tournaments by February," Dempo said.
GFA welcomed AIFF`s plan to implement centralised player registration system that will help the apex body to crack down on age-fudging, besides providing players the security of insurance.
However, it voiced its opposition to the quantum of fees to be levied on village clubs and will take up the matter at the AIFF`s executive committee meeting on August 1.
The GFA resolved to revive the Bandodkar Gold Trophy tournament after Salgaocar FC general secretary Raj Gomes proposed the idea of scheduling the tournament in February 2014 and accordingly, will be following the dates of the IFA Shield tournament in this regard.
GFA vice-president (north), Lavino Rebello felt that both the IMG-Reliance tournament and Bandodkar Gold Trophy will boost football in Goa.
"If IMG-Reliance tournament becomes a reality with Goa as one of its venues, it will boost the game and the same will provide a break to the I-League players," Rebello said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan