Guardiola rules out coaching Bayern like Barcelona
France: The former Camp Nou trainer feels the players are more important than the coach and has nothing but praise for his predecessor Jupp Heynckes.
Pep Guardiola has stressed that he will have to adapt to Bayern Munich rather than the other way around as he feels the players are more important than the coach and his preference for a certain formation.
Much has been said about whether Guardiola will try to replicate Barcelona`s style at the Bundesliga giants, but he has made it clear that everything depends on the players at his availability.
"Barcelona players have different qualities to those of Bayern. I need to adjust to the players, not the other way around," Guardiola said at a press conference.
"Football belongs to the players, not to the coach. The fans come to the Allianz Arena to watch the players play rather than because of me.
"I will have to adapt. The formation I use does not really matter."
The Spaniard then went on to praise his predecessor Jupp Heynckes and stated that the 68-year-old has set the bar pretty high.
"Bayern won all titles that they could win last season. Expectations are very high. I can only try to keep up the same high level the team had under Heynckes.
"I have not been in touch with him yet, but I hope to do so shortly. His opinions means a lot to me.
"I have a lot of respect for his performances, not just for what he achieved last season, but for his entire career. I feel honoured to be his successor."
Guardiola also briefly discussed Bayern`s transfer policy and revealed that the Bundesliga champions are not looking to revamp a successful squad this summer.
"In my opinion a team does not need a lot of transfers when you have just won four titles. The team is already pretty good.
"But I don`t know how Matthias Sammer, [Karl-Heinz] Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness feel about that."
Bayern have already secured the services of Mario Gotze from Borussia Dortmund and Jan Kirchhoff from Mainz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes