Guardiola rules out coaching Bayern like Barcelona
France: The former Camp Nou trainer feels the players are more important than the coach and has nothing but praise for his predecessor Jupp Heynckes.
Pep Guardiola has stressed that he will have to adapt to Bayern Munich rather than the other way around as he feels the players are more important than the coach and his preference for a certain formation.
Much has been said about whether Guardiola will try to replicate Barcelona`s style at the Bundesliga giants, but he has made it clear that everything depends on the players at his availability.
"Barcelona players have different qualities to those of Bayern. I need to adjust to the players, not the other way around," Guardiola said at a press conference.
"Football belongs to the players, not to the coach. The fans come to the Allianz Arena to watch the players play rather than because of me.
"I will have to adapt. The formation I use does not really matter."
The Spaniard then went on to praise his predecessor Jupp Heynckes and stated that the 68-year-old has set the bar pretty high.
"Bayern won all titles that they could win last season. Expectations are very high. I can only try to keep up the same high level the team had under Heynckes.
"I have not been in touch with him yet, but I hope to do so shortly. His opinions means a lot to me.
"I have a lot of respect for his performances, not just for what he achieved last season, but for his entire career. I feel honoured to be his successor."
Guardiola also briefly discussed Bayern`s transfer policy and revealed that the Bundesliga champions are not looking to revamp a successful squad this summer.
"In my opinion a team does not need a lot of transfers when you have just won four titles. The team is already pretty good.
"But I don`t know how Matthias Sammer, [Karl-Heinz] Rummenigge and Uli Hoeness feel about that."
Bayern have already secured the services of Mario Gotze from Borussia Dortmund and Jan Kirchhoff from Mainz.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing