Guardiola would struggle to repeat Barcelona feats, says Gullit
London: Former Chelsea star Ruud Gullit believes Pep Guardiola could struggle to repeat the successes he had at Barcelona if he were to take over at another club.
The Blues owner Roman Abramovich is reportedly keen on acquiring the services of the highly-coveted Catalan when he ends his sabbatical from the game, but Rafa Benitez was recently given the role of taking over the Stamford Bridge side until the end of the season.
But Gullit, who now works as a football analyst for several media outlets, says Guardiola would not be able to achieve the same lofty heights as he did at Camp Nou, with his tried and tested formula not suiting the style of the Premier League.
"I think what Pep (Guardiola) did with Barcelona is difficult to repeat," he told reporters. "Also, he had the players there. You cannot do the same thing twice, especially not in another culture.
"I remember with other cultures, they try because they think they have a formula, and it doesn`t apply everywhere."
Despite the recent backlash the club has received from its fans following the dismissal of Roberto Di Matteo, Gullit believes Abramovich has earned the right to make the changes he feels are right, having overseen the most successful period in the club`s history.
"Abramovich (has done) a great job at Chelsea. Development, new training ground, trophies - he also brought them trophies," Gullit added.
"So for that reason you cannot blame him. But sometimes it`s a hard cookie to swallow in the way things happen. But it`s his club, he can do what he likes.
"I`m afraid (what) the consequences can be, publicly-wise. Because I love Chelsea, I love the way the club has evolved, [but] now you have to work hard to get sympathy back."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP