Guingamp knock PSG out of League Cup
Paris: Second division Guingamp lived up to their reputation as Cup specialists by beating Paris St Germain 1-0 to advance to the French League Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday.
The Brittany side, who won the French Cup last season, had just had midfielder Moustapha Diallo sent off for a dangerous tackle when PSG defender Mamadou Sakho handed them the winner with an own goal on 79 minutes.
PSG looked slightly more threatening in a relatively dull game played on a frozen pitch but home side Guingamp resisted bravely before a blunder from a nervous PSG defence gave them victory.
Olympique Lyon, who were knocked out by second division Metz at this stage last season, took revenge by crushing the same opponents 3-0.
France midfielder Jeremy Toulalan showed Lyon the way by heading in from a free kick on the half-hour.
Metz`s chances of coming back received a knock when they had goalkeeper Christophe Marichez sent off for handling the ball outside the box on 68 minutes. Argentina striker Lisandro Lopez then wrapped up the home side`s victory with two late goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ahead of PM Modi's US visit, USCIRF report says 'intolerance has risen in India'
- Gold price eyes $1,300 again as weaker dollar, fund inflows support
- Kerala law student raped, murdered at home: Read chilling details of post-mortem report here
- On Umar Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad's sacking: Shahid Afridi welcomes PCB's move to give chance to youngsters
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Let’s not have a gender war, says Shekhar Suman