Guingamp knock PSG out of League Cup
Paris: Second division Guingamp lived up to their reputation as Cup specialists by beating Paris St Germain 1-0 to advance to the French League Cup quarter-finals on Wednesday.
The Brittany side, who won the French Cup last season, had just had midfielder Moustapha Diallo sent off for a dangerous tackle when PSG defender Mamadou Sakho handed them the winner with an own goal on 79 minutes.
PSG looked slightly more threatening in a relatively dull game played on a frozen pitch but home side Guingamp resisted bravely before a blunder from a nervous PSG defence gave them victory.
Olympique Lyon, who were knocked out by second division Metz at this stage last season, took revenge by crushing the same opponents 3-0.
France midfielder Jeremy Toulalan showed Lyon the way by heading in from a free kick on the half-hour.
Metz`s chances of coming back received a knock when they had goalkeeper Christophe Marichez sent off for handling the ball outside the box on 68 minutes. Argentina striker Lisandro Lopez then wrapped up the home side`s victory with two late goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters