Hamburg and Leverkusen in top of table stalemate
Berlin: Hamburg SV and Bayer Leverkusen drew 0-0 on Saturday to remain undefeated at the top of the Bundesliga.
Both teams have 21 points from nine games but Leverkusen are top on goal difference.
Schalke 04, who won 2-1 at struggling VfB Stuttgart, stayed on their heels on 19 points while Bayern Munich notched their first victory in three games with a 2-1 triumph at Freiburg that moved them up to fifth on 15 points.
Hamburg set a frantic early pace before Leverkusen gradually found space in midfield, going close to taking the lead when Gonzalo Castro chipped the ball over keeper Frank Rost only to see it go wide.
The home team`s injury woes continued when striker Tolgay-Ali Arslan limped off on 37 minutes, with forwards Paolo Guerrero and Mladen Petric already out with long-term problems.
Bruno Labbadia`s Hamburg refused to give up though, surging forward again and going close through Eljero Elia and Marcus Berg.
Tunay Torun, 19, who came on for Arslan, missed the best chance for Hamburg when he failed to hit the target 11 minutes from time before Leverkusen`s Sami Hyypia and Stefan Kiessling forced Rost into saves.
"We had to set the pace as Leverkusen waited for our mistakes," Labbadia told reporters. "We invested a lot but could not get the breakthrough because it`s hard to replace players like Guerrero and Petric."
Schalke did the bare minimum to edge past Stuttgart with Ivan Rakitic taking advantage of Stefano Celozzi`s failure to clear a cross from Rafinha to grab the opening goal in the 24th minute.
Brazilian-born Germany international Cacau levelled on 73 minutes, giving 13th-placed Stuttgart hope of avoiding their fourth defeat in five league matches.
Schalke`s Kevin Kuranyi then fired the winner three minutes later after Rafinha found him unmarked on the right.
Bayern needed a scrappy effort from Thomas Mueller and a spectacular own goal from defender Cha Du-ri to sink promoted Freiburg.
Italy striker Luca Toni was in the starting line-up for the first time this season but the Bavarians, without injured Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben, were lucky to take the lead three minutes before halftime.
Mueller pounced on a loose ball to score after Toni and Miroslav Klose failed to convert from close range.
South Korean Cha Du-ri made it 2-0 when he wrong-footed keeper Simon Pouplin with a back pass on 68 minutes before Stefan Reisinger pulled a goal back for Freiburg in stoppage time.
Bottom-of-the-table Hertha Berlin continued their dismal run, going down 3-0 at Nuremberg to suffer their eighth defeat in a row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy