Hamburg edge through in German Cup
Berlin: Hamburg are through to the second round of the German Cup, although they required penalties to progress against Energie Cottbus on Monday.
Heiko Westermann and Rafael van der Vaart both found the net for Hamburg as the game ended 2-2 after extra time, before they prevailed 4-1 on penalties against their third-tier hosts.
Schalke were in action later on Monday away to Dynamo Dresden, completing a weekend in which holders Bayern Munich eased through, while Hoffenheim recorded a 9-0 victory against fifth-tier amateurs Paloma.
Top-flight sides Mainz, VfB Stuttgart and Augsburg were all eliminated at the first hurdle.
The new Bundesliga season begins on Friday, when Bayern Munich start their defence of the title against Wolfsburg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre