Hamburg edge through in German Cup
Berlin: Hamburg are through to the second round of the German Cup, although they required penalties to progress against Energie Cottbus on Monday.
Heiko Westermann and Rafael van der Vaart both found the net for Hamburg as the game ended 2-2 after extra time, before they prevailed 4-1 on penalties against their third-tier hosts.
Schalke were in action later on Monday away to Dynamo Dresden, completing a weekend in which holders Bayern Munich eased through, while Hoffenheim recorded a 9-0 victory against fifth-tier amateurs Paloma.
Top-flight sides Mainz, VfB Stuttgart and Augsburg were all eliminated at the first hurdle.
The new Bundesliga season begins on Friday, when Bayern Munich start their defence of the title against Wolfsburg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA