Hamburg edge through in German Cup
Berlin: Hamburg are through to the second round of the German Cup, although they required penalties to progress against Energie Cottbus on Monday.
Heiko Westermann and Rafael van der Vaart both found the net for Hamburg as the game ended 2-2 after extra time, before they prevailed 4-1 on penalties against their third-tier hosts.
Schalke were in action later on Monday away to Dynamo Dresden, completing a weekend in which holders Bayern Munich eased through, while Hoffenheim recorded a 9-0 victory against fifth-tier amateurs Paloma.
Top-flight sides Mainz, VfB Stuttgart and Augsburg were all eliminated at the first hurdle.
The new Bundesliga season begins on Friday, when Bayern Munich start their defence of the title against Wolfsburg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?