Hamburg edge through in German Cup
Berlin: Hamburg are through to the second round of the German Cup, although they required penalties to progress against Energie Cottbus on Monday.
Heiko Westermann and Rafael van der Vaart both found the net for Hamburg as the game ended 2-2 after extra time, before they prevailed 4-1 on penalties against their third-tier hosts.
Schalke were in action later on Monday away to Dynamo Dresden, completing a weekend in which holders Bayern Munich eased through, while Hoffenheim recorded a 9-0 victory against fifth-tier amateurs Paloma.
Top-flight sides Mainz, VfB Stuttgart and Augsburg were all eliminated at the first hurdle.
The new Bundesliga season begins on Friday, when Bayern Munich start their defence of the title against Wolfsburg.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love