Hand injury to sideline Iker Casillas for weeks
Madrid: Real Madrid football club are likely to be without the services of goalkeeper Iker Casillas for weeks after he broke a bone in his hand during his side`s Copa del Rey quarterfinal against Valencia.
Casillas was forced off the pitch after just 16 minutes of the game which ended in a 1-1 draw: enough to see his side into the semifinals and was replaced by Antonio Adan.
He quickly underwent tests to discover the extent of his injury and the tests showed he has a fracture at the base of the first metacarpal bone of his left hand.
"Throughout the day we will talk to specialists to decide the treatment he has to follow," read a communique on the Madrid website, without saying how long the keeper is likely to be out of action.
Casillas didn`t speak to the press after his diagnosis, but he did speak to them directly after the game, before he was certain of the extent of the injury.
"It hurts and something makes a noise when I move my finger. I felt a serious pain as if something had broken," he said.
Although the club have not yet said how long Casillas will be out of action but the recovery time is expected to be between six weeks and three months.
That means he will miss a large chunk of the season, starting with the semi-final of the Copa del Rey and, perhaps more importantly, the last 16 of the Champions League, where Real Madrid take on Manchester United. A defeat to the English Champions would leave Madrid`s season in tatters and speculation is already starting that the club may attempt to sign a new keeper to cover for Casillas during his absence.
Ironically Casillas` injury comes just as he had appeared to win back the battle for his place after being dropped by Jose Mourinho at the start of the season in favour of Adan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings