Harry Redknapp feared hair would get in Bale`s way
Former Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has revealed that he once feared Gareth Bale was too preoccupied with his hairstyle to make it as a leading footballer.
Bale left Tottenham for Real Madrid last month for a reported world-record transfer fee of £85 million ($137 million, 100 million euros), but Redknapp says he used to have doubts about the Welsh forward`s strength of character.
"He drove me mad in training," wrote Redknapp in his autobiography, which is being serialised in British newspaper the Daily Mail.
"Technically, he was outstanding, but he always seemed to be playing with his hair.
"It was never right. He`d be flicking the fringe or wiping it out of his eyes and I would be going quietly mad, just watching. `Gareth, leave your barnet alone! Gareth! Stop touching you hair!`"
`Barnet` is cockney rhyming slang for `hair`, derived from a rhyme with `Barnet Fair`.
Redknapp, who now manages second-tier Queens Park Rangers, was also worried about Bale`s propensity for injury.
"He was always getting a little knock in training, too. He`d go down then limp off and I always thought the physios made too much fuss of him," he said.
"It was the same pattern every morning. Gareth would tumble and stay there, and they`d all go running over. In the end I told them just to leave him alone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!