Harry Redknapp feared hair would get in Bale`s way
Former Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp has revealed that he once feared Gareth Bale was too preoccupied with his hairstyle to make it as a leading footballer.
Bale left Tottenham for Real Madrid last month for a reported world-record transfer fee of £85 million ($137 million, 100 million euros), but Redknapp says he used to have doubts about the Welsh forward`s strength of character.
"He drove me mad in training," wrote Redknapp in his autobiography, which is being serialised in British newspaper the Daily Mail.
"Technically, he was outstanding, but he always seemed to be playing with his hair.
"It was never right. He`d be flicking the fringe or wiping it out of his eyes and I would be going quietly mad, just watching. `Gareth, leave your barnet alone! Gareth! Stop touching you hair!`"
`Barnet` is cockney rhyming slang for `hair`, derived from a rhyme with `Barnet Fair`.
Redknapp, who now manages second-tier Queens Park Rangers, was also worried about Bale`s propensity for injury.
"He was always getting a little knock in training, too. He`d go down then limp off and I always thought the physios made too much fuss of him," he said.
"It was the same pattern every morning. Gareth would tumble and stay there, and they`d all go running over. In the end I told them just to leave him alone."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United
- Zika not a reason to cancel Rio Olympics, says US health official
- Mamata Banerjee sworn-in as West Bengal CM: As it happened
- Haryana DGP says common man has right to take criminal's life. Read his shocking views here