Hearts suspend sex offender Craig Thomson
London: Scottish Premier League club Hearts suspended defender Craig Thomson after he was convicted last week of "lewd, libidinous and indecent behaviour" towards underage girls.
Thomson, 20, was fined and placed on the sex offenders register after pleading guilty to offences over the internet involving two girls.
"Hearts today announce that Craig Thomson is suspended with immediate effect," the club said in a statement on their website.
"No further comment will be made by the club."
The club had come under pressure to sack or suspend Thomson, who is a Scotland Under-21 international, but had announced on Monday they were standing by the player.
Children`s charity Children 1st and the club`s water sponsor were among those urging the club to take action.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference