Hearts suspend sex offender Craig Thomson
London: Scottish Premier League club Hearts suspended defender Craig Thomson after he was convicted last week of "lewd, libidinous and indecent behaviour" towards underage girls.
Thomson, 20, was fined and placed on the sex offenders register after pleading guilty to offences over the internet involving two girls.
"Hearts today announce that Craig Thomson is suspended with immediate effect," the club said in a statement on their website.
"No further comment will be made by the club."
The club had come under pressure to sack or suspend Thomson, who is a Scotland Under-21 international, but had announced on Monday they were standing by the player.
Children`s charity Children 1st and the club`s water sponsor were among those urging the club to take action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report
- It may soon be time to say goodbye to dripping ice cream cones!
- Learn how much exercise you need to prevent death