Henry and Toure to leave Barcelona
Paris: Barcelona have agreed to sell France striker Thierry Henry and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure, the Spanish champions said.
Henry, who returned from the World Cup last week after France`s surprise early exit, agreed a move before heading out to South Africa following a season when he has spent most of the time on the bench.
"Now it is up to him to complete it," Barca director Joan Oliver said on the club website after the last board meeting under outgoing president Joan Laporta.
"This will allow Barca to save money on his wages in the next financial year."
Henry, 32, was reputedly one of the highest paid players in Pep Guardiola`s squad and had one year left on his contract.
He has been linked with a move to the New York Red Bulls in the United States.
Barcelona have also been negotiating with Manchester City over the future of Toure who, like Henry, had requested a transfer.
"The decision is in the hands of the player and his representative," Oliver said.
"All that needs to be agreed is the player`s terms with the new club."
Toure, 27, lost out to Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets in the battle for places in Barca`s midfield last season and has been seeking a move to gain more regular first-team football.
Ivory Coast were knocked out of the World Cup in the group stage.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?