Henry and Toure to leave Barcelona
Paris: Barcelona have agreed to sell France striker Thierry Henry and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure, the Spanish champions said.
Henry, who returned from the World Cup last week after France`s surprise early exit, agreed a move before heading out to South Africa following a season when he has spent most of the time on the bench.
"Now it is up to him to complete it," Barca director Joan Oliver said on the club website after the last board meeting under outgoing president Joan Laporta.
"This will allow Barca to save money on his wages in the next financial year."
Henry, 32, was reputedly one of the highest paid players in Pep Guardiola`s squad and had one year left on his contract.
He has been linked with a move to the New York Red Bulls in the United States.
Barcelona have also been negotiating with Manchester City over the future of Toure who, like Henry, had requested a transfer.
"The decision is in the hands of the player and his representative," Oliver said.
"All that needs to be agreed is the player`s terms with the new club."
Toure, 27, lost out to Spain midfielder Sergio Busquets in the battle for places in Barca`s midfield last season and has been seeking a move to gain more regular first-team football.
Ivory Coast were knocked out of the World Cup in the group stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing