Henry, Owen in Indian Football League?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Football superstars like Thierry Henry, Dwight Yorke, Fredrik Ljungberg, Robert Pires, Michael Owen, Louis Saha and Hernan Crespo might star in the IPL-inspired football league, set to begin in 2014.
As per reports in a leading daily, Yorke, Ljungberg, Pires, Crespo and Saha have already been signed for the League, likely to be called Indian Super League, while the organizers are still in talks with Owen and Henry.
Also, there were indications that Peter Schmeichel and Marcel Desailly could be hired as team managers.
The three-month long tournament will be held between January and March 2014. Nine franchises including Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Kochi, Pune, Guwahati and Goa have been finalized. The base price for a franchise is estimated to be Rs 25 crore.
Reliance and IMG have floated a joint venture to initiate this multi-million dollar franchise-based football league in the country. Nita Ambani, the IMG-R chairperson, was quoted as saying, "We see the launch of the football league as the realization of a dream of a billion-plus Indians to experience the most cherished game globally in new ways."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore