Henry, Owen in Indian Football League?
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Football superstars like Thierry Henry, Dwight Yorke, Fredrik Ljungberg, Robert Pires, Michael Owen, Louis Saha and Hernan Crespo might star in the IPL-inspired football league, set to begin in 2014.
As per reports in a leading daily, Yorke, Ljungberg, Pires, Crespo and Saha have already been signed for the League, likely to be called Indian Super League, while the organizers are still in talks with Owen and Henry.
Also, there were indications that Peter Schmeichel and Marcel Desailly could be hired as team managers.
The three-month long tournament will be held between January and March 2014. Nine franchises including Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Kochi, Pune, Guwahati and Goa have been finalized. The base price for a franchise is estimated to be Rs 25 crore.
Reliance and IMG have floated a joint venture to initiate this multi-million dollar franchise-based football league in the country. Nita Ambani, the IMG-R chairperson, was quoted as saying, "We see the launch of the football league as the realization of a dream of a billion-plus Indians to experience the most cherished game globally in new ways."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...