Hernandez double gives Mexico victory over Japan
Belo Horizonte: Manchester United star Javier Hernandez scored twice but missed a last-minute penalty as Mexico defeated Japan 2-1 on Saturday to leave the Asian side winless at the Confederations Cup.
Hernandez took his tally for the tournament to three as Mexico registered their first victory.
The win, however, came in a `dead` game after Brazil and Italy had already made sure of their places in the semi-finals as Group A qualifiers.
Hernandez, who had scored his team`s only goal of the competition in the 2-1 loss to Italy, opened the scoring in the 54th minute.
He timed a run perfectly to meet a cross from Andres Guardado before heading the ball past Eiji Kawashima in the Japan goal.
Twelve minutes later, Hernandez made it 2-0.
Giovani Dos Santos sent over a corner which was flicked on at the near post by Hiram Mier for the Manchester United man to head home from close range.
Japan refused to give up with Yasuyuki Konno seeing a goalbound effort cleared away by the feet of keeper Guillermo Ochoa.
The World Cup qualifiers pulled one back four minutes from time when Stuttgart striker Shinji Okazaki tapped in a simple chance.
Hernandez had a chance to make it 3-1 in stoppage time when he was brought down in the area.
However, Kawashima pulled off a fine save from the resulting penalty with the striker then smashing the rebound off the crossbar.
The result allowed Mexico, who had also lost 2-0 to Brazil, to finish third in Group A.
Japan ended the tournament with three defeats, having already been beaten 3-0 by Brazil and 4-3 by Italy.
There were few chances in the first half at Belo Horizonte with Mexico enjoying more of the ball.
They were unlucky not to have taken the lead in the 40th minute when Valencia midfielder Guardado sent a flying header off the post.
Japan had thought they had gone ahead on nine minutes when Okazaki deflected a cross from captain Yasuhito Endo into the net.
But referee Felix Brych of Germany ruled it out for offside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India