Hernane fires Flamengo to 3-2 win
Rio de Janeiro: Hernane scored two goals and Elias added another as Flamengo defeated champions Fluminense 3-2 in the Campeonato Brasileiro.
Elias cancelled out Rafael Sobis` opener at the Maracana Sunday with a 25th-minute strike before Hernane netted in the 31st and 80th minute.
Sobis reduced the deficit in second-half injury time with a low shot from outside the area that slipped through Felipe`s hands.
"Victories like these are emblematic, especially when they are accompanied by consistent performances," Flamengo coach Mano Menezes said after the match.
"It was a balanced performance. We are still vulnerable at set pieces and we have to improve in that area. But it was a result that makes us believe we can put together a good sequence against any opponent in any stadium."
Flamengo are now 11th in the Brasileirao standings while Fluminense have dropped to 14th.
In other matches Sunday, Corinthians beat Vitoria 2-0; Cruzeiro drew 0-0 with Santos; Vasco da Gama defeated Coritiba 1-0 away; Gremio overcame hosts Bahia 3-0; Internacional drew 2-2 with Atletico Paranaense; Ponte Preta beat Criciuma 3-1 and Portuguesa defeated Sao Paulo 2-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore