Hernane fires Flamengo to 3-2 win
Rio de Janeiro: Hernane scored two goals and Elias added another as Flamengo defeated champions Fluminense 3-2 in the Campeonato Brasileiro.
Elias cancelled out Rafael Sobis` opener at the Maracana Sunday with a 25th-minute strike before Hernane netted in the 31st and 80th minute.
Sobis reduced the deficit in second-half injury time with a low shot from outside the area that slipped through Felipe`s hands.
"Victories like these are emblematic, especially when they are accompanied by consistent performances," Flamengo coach Mano Menezes said after the match.
"It was a balanced performance. We are still vulnerable at set pieces and we have to improve in that area. But it was a result that makes us believe we can put together a good sequence against any opponent in any stadium."
Flamengo are now 11th in the Brasileirao standings while Fluminense have dropped to 14th.
In other matches Sunday, Corinthians beat Vitoria 2-0; Cruzeiro drew 0-0 with Santos; Vasco da Gama defeated Coritiba 1-0 away; Gremio overcame hosts Bahia 3-0; Internacional drew 2-2 with Atletico Paranaense; Ponte Preta beat Criciuma 3-1 and Portuguesa defeated Sao Paulo 2-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India