High stakes showdown in Manchester derby
Manchester: Alex Ferguson is gearing up for what he has called the biggest Manchester derby in his near 25-year spell as United manager, Sunday`s home game against Premier League leaders City.
City`s two-point lead over their neighbours and confident mood on the back of three successive wins in all competitions has made the encounter (1:30 p.m.) less about local rivalry and more about title credentials.
Dismissed by Ferguson in recent seasons as a "small club with a small mentality" and "noisy neighbours," City will have been the first to notice the change in the way the Scot is viewing the fixture.
Asked if it was the biggest Manchester derby since he took over, United`s manager told local media: "Yes, I think so.”
"The last couple of years they (the derbies) have become more intense and there is more importance attached to them," added Ferguson who nevertheless views his club`s fixtures with arch rivals Liverpool as the biggest games of the season.
"On Sunday it`s top of the league against second top and it really builds up into a fantastic prospect for everyone. I am looking forward to that."
Were it not for the fact the game is at Old Trafford, where United have not lost for 18 months, City could have claimed to be favourites due to their better recent form.
Where United have looked shaky in defence and too ready to give away possession, drawing three and winning two of their last five games in all competitions, City have been more comfortable.
Roberto Mancini`s side have averaged over three goals a game to go top of the table with 22 points from eight matches.
Both sides are unbeaten in the league and go into the match buoyed by their first Champions League victories of the season in midweek, City`s coming after a stoppage-time winner from Sergio Aguero and United`s thanks to two Wayne Rooney penalties.
"It will be a different game and different situation," said Mancini. "It is important to go there and do well because it will be very hard."
The pair have already met this season in August`s Community Shield curtain-raiser, United coming back from two goals down to win 3-2.
There was tension between the clubs last month when City midfielder Owen Hargreaves questioned the medical treatment he had received during his injury-ravaged years at United.
He is now fit and has a chance to feature against his former club with much to prove.
Aguero, who came off the bench to score in the 2-1 triumph over Villarreal on Tuesday, could return to the starting lineup while Mario Balotelli may be preferred to Edin Dzeko up front after the Bosnian wasted several chances against the Spaniards.
United should have captain Nemanja Vidic back for his first league game since August following a calf injury. The Serb was sent off in the midweek 2-0 win at Romanians Otelul Galati.
Away from Manchester, third-placed Chelsea make the short trip to neighbours Queens Park Rangers on Sunday (4 p.m.) looking to gain ground on the pacesetters.
Arsenal look to build on last week`s win over Sunderland that lifted them into the top half of the table when they host Stoke City on Sunday.
Newcastle United, in fourth, seek to maintain their unbeaten start at home to Wigan Athletic on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe