Hindustan FC launches women’s wing with fanfare
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Lights, camera, action. The welcome which is generally accorded only to film personalities or top cricketers in the country was reserved for a select band of women footballers in the country when the Hindustan Football Club on Thursday launched its women’s wing at a glittering function in the national capital.
The club, which also roped in apparel giant Lotto as their jersey sponsor for two years, also unveiled the new look kit of the men’s and women’s team.
With the launch of the women’s wing, Hindustan FC has become the first I-League Club in Delhi and the country to have its own team.
Team captain Neha Kapoor, who represented India at the junior level, was expectedly elated with the welcome accorded to them. “It was a great feeling to be welcomed this way. I have been playing football for many years and this was something special,” she said.
“We will also try to give our best on the field and look to win every tournament we enter,” she added.
Most players in the team are either college students or do odd jobs to supplement their football playing needs and had never witnessed any such function in the past.
" There are talks of starting woman`s league football in Delhi and we as a club didn`t want to lag behind. By creating a girls` team we as a club wanted our girls to be ready to grab the opportunity," said Director & Working President D.K. Bose of Hindustan Football Club.
The experienced Kuhelika Guha, who is running a signature campaign to introduce an all-India women’s league, said “it was a great feeling that we were given the same importance as the men squad. I hope the practice is followed across the country.”
On the occasion Hindustan FC also unveiled new jersey for the men`s team and announced the appointment of new coach M. Mita, JFA B licence holder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends