Hodgson believes Rooney can be next England captain
London: England boss Roy Hodgson believes star striker Wayne Rooney can follow 32- year-old skipper Steven Gerrard’s footsteps and lead the England soccer team.
“It’s something he’s very proud of and something he wants to do. He does take playing for England unbelievably seriously and that’s a good thing for us,” the Daily Mirror quoted Hodgson, as saying.
The Manchester United striker has jumped ahead of Frank Lampard to become the permanent vice-captain for the Three Lions squad.
“Wayne was my vice-captain in the Euros, at least he was from the moment he could start playing again. Steve was given the captain’s armband and I made it clear Wayne would be the vice-captain,” he said.
“Frank has come back in and captained the team, but I always had it in my mind that Wayne would be vice-captain,” he added.
Rooney, 26, also welcomed the idea, and said he’d be looking forward to the opportunity, whenever it happens.
“Of course I dream of captaining England to glory one day. As a young player, your dream is to play for England and, once you play, the next step is to captain your country,” he said.
“I’ve done it now. It was a great honor and hopefully one day in it can be full-time,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof