Hodgson brands Footie critics ball possession stats as `nonsense`
London: England manager Roy Hodgson has reportedly blasted his critics by insisting that their claims about ball possession statistics are `nonsense`.
Hodgson said that if his squad had scored in the 117th minute in their Euro Cup 2012 clash against Italy, for which England has been criticised for having the ball for only 37 percent of the time, it would have been seen as a great defensive performance.
Hodgson added that England lost on penalties in the end and everyone talked about how much possession the Italians had, the Mirror reported.
However, the England boss said that he is really happy that in the last few weeks the nonsense of -statistics is being proven once and for all, given Chelsea`s win over Liverpool and Real Madrid`s Champions League thrashing of Bayern Munich, despite both teams dominating the passing statistics.
Hodgson said that the players know what he thinks about statistics, adding that no player is ever going to hear from him that their `passing percentage rate` was not high enough.
He further added that the players are more likely to hear that they are not passing the ball `forwards enough` and they are passing it backwards and square too much instead.
Hodgson said that passing and possession statistics are a complete nonsense and possession of the ball means nothing.
Hodgson added that there are two truisms in football, first is the one important stat is that who has won the game, and the second there is no one way to play football.
The England coach said that one does not play a certain type of football, but one plays the football that enables them to win with the players at their disposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured