Hodgson wary of `serious rivals` Ukraine
London: Roy Hodgson insists that Ukraine are still a threat to England’s World Cup qualification campaign.
Montenegro currently top Group H, leading the Three Lions by two points, and will host Hodgson`s men in Podgorica on Tuesday night.
A win would put England in control of Group H, and could play a decisive role in determining who qualifies automatically for Brazil 2014.
“I know Ukraine had a bad start but they are a good team,” Hodgson told reporters.
“I would certainly put them up there as one of the serious rivals, especially on the basis of what we saw in the Euros and what they did when they came to Wembley.”
“I always thought it was going to be a bit of a dog fight between some of these teams. Montenegro have stolen a march but I don`t really dismiss the others.”
Despite England’s 8-0 thrashing of San Marino on Friday night, Montenegro preserved their lead at the top thanks to a narrow 1-0 win in Moldova, rendering the outcome of Tuesday’s meeting between the top two even more significant.
Hodgson added: “Whatever the result in Moldova it would have still been a big game for us on Tuesday.
“Montenegro are one of our serious rivals for the top spot and we must do our best to get a win there.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video