Holtby leaves Schalke at end of season
Berlin: German international midfielder Lewis Holty rejected Schalke04`s offer to extend his expiring contract with the "Royal Blues", the club said on its official homepage.
After Klaas Jan Huntelaar`s contract extension, Schalke suffered their first setback as Holtby rejected the clubs offer to extend his contract that runs out June 30, 2013, reports Xinhua.
"We had thought Lewis would like to stay with Schalke at the end of the season, but he has taken a personal decision and we respect that," sporting director Horst Heldt said Friday in a release.
Holtby is linked to a number of Premier League clubs, mainly Everton and Liverpool. His father is from England and it is his dream to play in the Premier League.
"We are assured that Lewis will give his best until the last match day of the campaign to make his contribution to the clubs success," Heldt said.
Holtby had a successful 2010-11 season on loan with Mainz before returning to the "Royal Blues", making 53 appearances and scoring goals from 2009 to 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij