Holtby leaves Schalke at end of season
Berlin: German international midfielder Lewis Holty rejected Schalke04`s offer to extend his expiring contract with the "Royal Blues", the club said on its official homepage.
After Klaas Jan Huntelaar`s contract extension, Schalke suffered their first setback as Holtby rejected the clubs offer to extend his contract that runs out June 30, 2013, reports Xinhua.
"We had thought Lewis would like to stay with Schalke at the end of the season, but he has taken a personal decision and we respect that," sporting director Horst Heldt said Friday in a release.
Holtby is linked to a number of Premier League clubs, mainly Everton and Liverpool. His father is from England and it is his dream to play in the Premier League.
"We are assured that Lewis will give his best until the last match day of the campaign to make his contribution to the clubs success," Heldt said.
Holtby had a successful 2010-11 season on loan with Mainz before returning to the "Royal Blues", making 53 appearances and scoring goals from 2009 to 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sensitive issues could damage ties with US military: China
- Graft case: Court seeks CBI's reply on accused' bail plea
- German minister rejects blanket suspicion of refugees after attacks
- Don't derail ties with India with controversial statements on Kashmir, Pak daily urges Islamabad
- Congress member wants PM's response to Hafiz's war rants, chinese interference