Hoped Ronaldo was badly hurt, jokes Capello
Moscow: Russia football coach Fabio Capello joked Thursday that he had hoped Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo had picked up a serious injury and would be unavailable for Friday`s World Cup qualifier between the two Group F favourites.
Ronaldo sprained his shoulder in Real Madrid`s 2-2 draw with Barcelona Sunday after scoring both of Real`s goals but was cleared to join up with the Portugal squad.
"When he picked up a knock in his last match in the Spanish league, of course I hoped it would be serious," he said.
"It would be much easier for us in defence then," he added.
As for strategies to cope with Ronaldo, Capello said he recognised the risk of the forward outwitting his Russian defence.
"Every team tries to stop him, every team tries to play against him, but it`s not so simple," he said.
"We`re going to try to play to the best of our ability in order to neutralise his strengths."
Defender Alexei Berezutsky said Wednesday that Russia wouldn`t single out Ronaldo for special treatment.
Ronaldo has scored 37 goals in 98 international appearances for Portugal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion