Hoped Ronaldo was badly hurt, jokes Capello
Moscow: Russia football coach Fabio Capello joked Thursday that he had hoped Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo had picked up a serious injury and would be unavailable for Friday`s World Cup qualifier between the two Group F favourites.
Ronaldo sprained his shoulder in Real Madrid`s 2-2 draw with Barcelona Sunday after scoring both of Real`s goals but was cleared to join up with the Portugal squad.
"When he picked up a knock in his last match in the Spanish league, of course I hoped it would be serious," he said.
"It would be much easier for us in defence then," he added.
As for strategies to cope with Ronaldo, Capello said he recognised the risk of the forward outwitting his Russian defence.
"Every team tries to stop him, every team tries to play against him, but it`s not so simple," he said.
"We`re going to try to play to the best of our ability in order to neutralise his strengths."
Defender Alexei Berezutsky said Wednesday that Russia wouldn`t single out Ronaldo for special treatment.
Ronaldo has scored 37 goals in 98 international appearances for Portugal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack