Hungary-Romania World Cup qualifier ends in tie
Budapest: The Hungary-Romania World Cup Group D football qualifier ended in a 2-2 draw here.
The match was played behind closed doors in an empty stadium Friday because penalised Hungary for racist slurs chanted by fans during a Hungary-Israel game last year.
After the match, Hungary retained second place in Group D with 10 points, but it is ahead of Romania only on goal difference.
The winners of the nine European groups qualify directly for the 2014 World Cup finals. The best eight second-placed teams take part in two-leg play-offs for Europe`s remaining four spots.
Hungary has not qualified for the World Cup finals since 1986.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress