I am not here to replace Samuel Eto`o: Ibrahimovic
Barcelona: Zlatan Ibrahimovic revealed how he had an agreement with Inter that he would only leave for Barcelona and insisted that he was not at Camp Nou to replace Samuel Eto`o.
The giants Swedish international was presented to the media and then the thousands of fans on Monday evening as he donned the Blaugrana number nine shirt for the first time.
Taking Eto`o`s number though was no indication that he was going to be a direct substitute for the Cameroonian striker, who went to Inter in the exchange deal.
"Eto`o is part of the history book of this club and he will always be a hero here," said Ibrahimovic to the massed ranks of reporters.
"I have not come to replace Eto`o – I am somebody different, somebody new, but I will try to achieve as much as Eto`o did, or even more.”
Ibrahimovic then heaped praise on Inter supremo Massimo Moratti for helping to complete what he views as a dream move to the European champions.
"Moratti helped me in every way, he did everything for me and my family," he continued.
"I said to Moratti a few months ago, `Nobody can get me, only one club can get me and that`s Barcelona`, and he told me, `If you want it like that you will get it like that`.”
"So all my respect, because it is not easy to sell a player that means so much to the team."
Now Ibrahimovic cannot wait to start training and on Tuesday morning he was able to stop by and meet his new team-mates at training before heading to hospital for an operation on his hand.
"They have so many great players; Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Henry, Touré," he beamed.
"I know the team off by heart and I can`t wait to play with them – I think playing with them will make me a better player. I`m living a dream."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city