I am sad at Ferguson’s decision to retire: Jose Mourinho
Madrid: Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho admits he was devastated to hear the news that Sir Alex Ferguson was retiring as Manchester United manager at the end of the season.
The former Porto, Chelsea and Inter boss revealed the United legend and called him personally to inform him of the decision.
Mourinho said he was saddened to hear the Scot’s 26-year reign at Old Trafford was coming to an end and admitted fielding a team against the Premier League champions will never feel the same again.
"When Sir Alex called me to give me the honour of knowing from him his decision, I was surprised and sad," he said in an interview.
"It will be difficult for me, and I think all managers, to go to Old Trafford and play against Manchester United without this mythical figure waiting for us.”
"At the same time, I was happy to feel his emotion, and pride for such an amazing career.”
United face Swansea City on Sunday in what will be Ferguson`s last home game in charge of the club but Mourinho said he would be too emotional to watch the match.
When asked if he would take in the game, he said: "No, certainly not - no, I don`t want to cry!"
Mourinho, who himself had been linked with taking over at Old Trafford, went on to endorse David Moyes, who has signed a six-year contract with the Red Devils.
"I think David is a great choice,” added the Portuguese coach.
“I like him as a person; I like his character as a manager. I believe Manchester United will support him, I think he has the qualities to do a good job.”
"I wish Sir Alex a happy life, and I wish David a successful career at Old Trafford."
Talking about his own future, Mourinho indicated he had informed Sir Alex about where his next destination in management will be.
"We are good friends, and my good friends know which club I would like to manage when I finish my work at Real Madrid."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre