I can only be grateful to Barcelona: Villa
Barcelona: David Villa has nothing but fond memories of his time at Barcelona and says he is grateful to the Catalans for everything they have done for him in the past three seasons.
The Spain international, 31, will leave Barca for Atletico Madrid in a deal worth €5.1 million, with €3m being paid if Villa remains an Atletico player during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 campaigns.
Bought for €40m from Valencia in 2010, the striker has hailed the Blaugrana`s decision to allow him to switch clubs on the cheap.
"I can only be grateful to Barca for their respect and special appreciation, and I would like to thank them for giving me three years at a club as great as Barca," Villa was quoted as saying by Marca.
"I have no complaints about Barcelona and they made it easy for me to move to Atletico because they knew I wanted to play here. I hope I can be just as happy at Atleti as I was at Barca.
"This is a winning team which has won lots of titles in recent years. I`ve come to help the club improve a little.
"I`ve spoken to coach [Diego] Simeone and his trust was one of the keys to me coming here. I can`t wait to start taking orders from him and repay that trust."
Villa will be officially unveiled at Atletico on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note