I can only be grateful to Barcelona: Villa
Barcelona: David Villa has nothing but fond memories of his time at Barcelona and says he is grateful to the Catalans for everything they have done for him in the past three seasons.
The Spain international, 31, will leave Barca for Atletico Madrid in a deal worth €5.1 million, with €3m being paid if Villa remains an Atletico player during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 campaigns.
Bought for €40m from Valencia in 2010, the striker has hailed the Blaugrana`s decision to allow him to switch clubs on the cheap.
"I can only be grateful to Barca for their respect and special appreciation, and I would like to thank them for giving me three years at a club as great as Barca," Villa was quoted as saying by Marca.
"I have no complaints about Barcelona and they made it easy for me to move to Atletico because they knew I wanted to play here. I hope I can be just as happy at Atleti as I was at Barca.
"This is a winning team which has won lots of titles in recent years. I`ve come to help the club improve a little.
"I`ve spoken to coach [Diego] Simeone and his trust was one of the keys to me coming here. I can`t wait to start taking orders from him and repay that trust."
Villa will be officially unveiled at Atletico on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report