‘I don`t have a bad relationship with Jose Mourinho’
Barcelona: Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova has stressed that he does not bear a grudge against his Real Madrid counterpart Jose Mourinho.
The duo were involved in a touchline brawl during last year`s Supercopa as the Portuguese poked Pep Guardiola`s then-assistant in the eye, but the newly-appointed boss is keen to put the incident to bed, as he prepares to oversee his first season in charge at Camp Nou.
"I do not think that I have a bad relationship with Mourinho," Vilanova stated at a press conference.
"It`s tiring that after a year we are still talking about this [last year`s eye-poking incident]. I accept the decision [to pardon Mourinho] like a professional."
Vilanova then went onto discuss his side`s transfer plans for the summer, but ruled out the signing of a new attacker, claiming that the side have enough quality up front.
"We aren`t looking for a new striker because we don`t need one. We already have plenty of good options," he maintained.
"If we find a player that can play in both the centre-back and pivot role, then fantastic. If not, we`ll find a player in the reserve team. Javi Martínez is the type of player we are looking for, like a lot of others, but we can`t talk about specific players.
"Javi Martinez can play in defence and in midfield, but signing him will depend on the club`s financial capacity.
"I`m counting on all of the players that are here. [Ibrahim] Afellay is a great player who had a serious injury last season."
The trainer lastly praised Lionel Messi for his excellent preparation for the new season, and added that he hopes the Argentine will be able to replicate the form he showed during the previous campaign.
"Messi is doing great. He takes physical conditioning very seriously. Hopefully Messi can score just as many goals this year as he did last year. He just improves year after year."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre