I don`t think Barca can win the League: Guardiola
Madrid: FC Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola ruled his side out of the race for the Spanish Primera Liga title Monday.
Lionel Messi`s 28th league goal of the season, a delicate chip from a free kick, gave Barca a 2-1 win away to a battling Atletico Madrid Sunday night, but Real Madrid`s 1-0 win away to Rayo Vallecano earlier in the day meant that Barca are still 10 points behind Real Madrid and have dropped just eight points all season.
Guardiola admitted that 10 points would almost certainly be too much of a gap for his team to close.
"My feeling is that we will not win the league," Guardiola was quoted as saying by Xinhua, although he insisted that his side would not throw in the towel just yet.
"Our aim is to compete as we have done against Atletico. I don`t think that we will be able to catch Real Madrid, but we can`t stop being ourselves," he said.
"In that way we will be able to enjoy the days between matches by knowing that we have done our job. We will continue to compete in order to be prepared for the Champions League and the Copa del Rey," added the Barca coach, whose side would end the season with five titles if they triumph in Europe and in the domestic knockout competition.
Guardiola added that he had given the same message to his players, adding that it was logical to think that way.
He also had words for Messi, who scored his 28th league goal of the campaign to win the match.
"There are some who are leaders because they talk and others are for what they do during 90 minutes of a game. He takes responsibility and he has done that for the past four years, when things are difficult, he always takes a step forward," said Guardiola, who added that the suspension that Messi will have to serve next week after seeing his fifth yellow card of the season will allow the striker to recuperate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family